Framed Up

13 Sep

For years I have been searching for the perfect earring holder.  Then I joined Pinterest and a whole world opened up for me in terms of where my earrings could find their home. I’ve done this project a few different ways. In this post I’ll show you a few different options I’ve created and some basic steps on how to make them. This is the first version I made for my roommate Kristine more than a year ago. (Pardon the not-so-great ancient photo)  At her request I left the frame unpainted, but I did spray paint the chicken wire black.

During this same time frame I painted a few other frames I had lying around.  I found all of these frames at a garage sale for $1 each.  I finished the next framed earring holder with regular chicken wire and a bright cheery blue spray paint. In addition to a manual heavy duty staple gun I also used a tin snip to cut the chicken wire.


I began by stapling the chicken wire across one side of the frame.  I then continued around the corner to  complete two contiguous sides.  From there I stretched the wire taut and completed stapling one additional side, then the other.  I tried to staple so that the edges of the staple would catch where the wire met.The larger chicken wire was more difficult for me to keep taut, but I think it reflects the rustic nature of the piece.

The finished version with earrings.

At the same time I painted this lovely frame I also painted a much smaller green frame.  I decided I wanted a different look for this version.  Enter the jute I inherited from my mom’s cleaning out of her sewing room. While you probably can’t see it, the blue “oriental jute” on the left was purchased at The Gift Shop in Devils Lake, ND. I’d bet this was purchased in the 1970s, but it now has a purpose.

I used a heavy duty stapler, a needle nosed pliers, a screwdriver, scissors and jute.

I tied off the jute after stapling it to the side, then used another staple to start my criss-cross motion.

In order to space the jute apart I stapled the jute twice on each side for every turn.  Making the loop also made the stapling on this section quite easy.  See all those extra original tiny nails? I used the needle nose to pull them once once I realized they would effect my spacing.  The screwdriver I used to pry up “oops” staples where I missed the jute completely. Be sure to keep tightening the jute on each turn.

And this is the final product.


As another option, I’ve also seen examples of lace strung across as well.

Advertisements

2 Responses to “Framed Up”

  1. J September 14, 2012 at 1:30 pm #

    Ben used screen like from a porch door for mine. It is taut and has so many holes I can make patterns with the earrings as I hang them. What do I do with my necklaces now though? It’s my next query.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

  1. Earring Frame « The Craftery - February 5, 2013

    […] for a long time. Tashia already inspired us all when she made two great framed versions in this previous post.  I tried a slightly different framed version using a 1×2 foot panel of decorative sheet […]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: