I’ve been making some headway on using up my yarn stash, but I still have lots to use up. Check out our previous Yarn Stash Buster projects here. My latest yarn project was to try creating some yarn bowls with paper mache paste. I found this yarn bowl pin and paste recipe via Pinterest.
I decided to try making three different bowls using different sizes, color, and style. Considering I wasn’t spending an extra dime to make them, I had no qualms about experimenting with what works best.
I started by making the paste – I halved the recipe from the link above:
Combine 1/4 cup flour and 1 cup cold water in a bowl.
Boil 1 cup of water in a sauce pan and add the flour and cold water mixture.
Bring to a boil again.
Remove from heat and add 1.5 tablespoons of sugar.
Let cool. The paste will thicken as it cools.
While the paste cooled, I prepared my bowls. I used three different sized and shaped bowls, and covered them with plastic wrap (I had press and seal on hand).
I then grabbed three different colored yarns from my stash – orange (wool), grey (cotton), and cream (cotton). I started with the orange yarn, by putting a couple feet of yarn into the paste. As I used up the yarn, I pulled more yarn into the pot of paste.
I used my fingers to pull off the excess paste as I pulled it out of the pot to work with it on my bowl. For this design, I wanted to make lots of little circles to create a pattern. I did this by cutting the yarn after completing each circle, but making sure all of the circles made contact so they remained glued together.
For the second bowl, I used a bowl with more decorative dimension to give the bowl a more interesting shape. The pattern I ended up making was a bit more free flow – and reminded me of peacock feathers – It might be kind of cool to do a multi color version to really play up a peacock pattern next time. Although this was a bit more airy in design, I made sure that each peacock eye made contact with each other to create stability for the bowl.
The third bowl, made of grey yarn, was the most free flow of all, and mostly followed the design of the original Pinterest inspiration. Again, I kept the design pretty airy, but included contact points within each round to ensure stability.
I let the bowls dry for about 24 hours – It took quite a long time for the paste to dry, and I ended up placing them in front of a heat vent for the last 2 hours to speed up the final drying process. Had I done this right away, it would have required less drying time. Once they were dry, I took them off the bowls by first removing the plastic wrap from the bowl, which made it easy to pop it off of the bowl mold.
Once it was off the bowl mold, I could peel the plastic wrap from the yarn bowl.
I had a couple of small mishaps – First: the “Press and Seal” had white logos printed on it, and it unfortunately transferred onto the yarn. I was able to remove this by using a damp paper towel to lightly scrub away the print. These spots dried just fine, and the “Press and Seal” logo was successfully removed.
Second: One of my orange circles was not pasted to the rest of the bowl very well. I used some fabric glue to fix this, and it solved the problem. I think regular Elmer’s glue would have also worked just fine.
The bowls can be used for pure decoration alone – include on a bookshelf or as a piece on your coffee table. Or use as a jewelry holder:
A catch all on your night stand:
Or hang it on the wall:
I like this one on the wall so much, I’m thinking of making two more to have a grouping of three to hang on the wall.
This was a fun project, and I have a lot of ideas of what I would do differently for patterns next time, as well as different ways I could make things other than bowls with “yarn mache”.
I’m linking up to: